Several services within NHS Lothian accept self referrals from patients. Please complete the required application form and post to the address provided or call the clinic directly.
Edinburgh Community Physiotherapy Service
The physiotherapy service provides assessment and treatment for a number of muscle, back and joint pains. This includes specialist services for those with neurological and bladder problems as well walking aids.
Please visit the NHS Lothian Services page for further information: Physiotherapy Self Referral
People who are pregnant can self refer to NHS Lothian Maternity Services.
As soon as you are aware you are pregnant please call 0131 536 2009 (Mon-Fri 0900-1700)
Your booking appointment will be arranged as well as your initial ultrasound scan.
Further information on caring for yourself and your baby can be found at Ready, Steady, Baby and our Patient Resource Portal including pregnancy common ailments.
NHS Lothian Pharmacies are able to provide assessment and treatment for certain conditions such as:
- Females aged 16-65 presenting with uncomplicated urinary tract infections (UTI's)
- Acne, Athletes Foot, Backache, Cold Sores, Constipation, Cough, Diarrhoea, Earache, Eczema and allergies, Haemorrhoids (piles), Hay fever, Headache, Head lice, Impetigo, Indigestion, Mouth ulcers, Nasal congestion, Period pain, Thrush, Sore throat, Threadworms, Warts and verrucae
A list of local pharmacies can be found here
More information is available at NHS Pharmacy First Scotland
Information about getting the right treatment for common viral illnesses such as colds and coughs without encouraging antibiotic resistance can be found in the NHS publication Get Well Soon Without Antibiotics
The podiatry team provide comprehensive foot health services to help reduce pain, improve function and mobility, prevent future foot problems, advice on self care.
Self referral form: Podiatry Self Referral
Further information can be found at the NHS Lothian Services webpage: Podiatry Patient Information
Sexual Health and Termination
NHS Lothian Sexual Health provides a wide range of services including:
- STI (sexually transmitted infection) testing and treatment
- HIV and PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) and PEP (post exposure prophylaxis)
- Gender Identity Clinics
- Pregnancy Planning
- Termination (see the Termination of Pregnancy tab for info)
More information can be found at the Lothian Sexual Health website: Lothian Sexual Health
The NHS Lothian Smoking Services provide help and support for those wanting to reduce or give up smoking.
Several services are available:
- Quit Your Way South Edinburgh, please contact 0131 537 7154
- Quit your way North Edinburgh, please contact 0131 286 5113
- LGBTQ+ people who do not wish to use generic services can contact 0131 523 1100
- Some pharmacies offer smoking services and can be found here
- For all other information please visit NHS inform